BANNING: 2 Dead and 3 Injured in Random Shooting Rampage
BANNING, California (Sunday, September 27, 2015) – James Paul Diaz, 34, allegedly went on a rampage Saturday in an apparently random shooting spree, killing two and injuring three. The shooting began just after 11:30 a.m. on John Street, a residential street off Hargrave Street, just south of Interstate 10 Freeway.
Diaz was supposedly witnessed shooting at a parked car, killing the male driver and wounding his female passenger. A few minutes later he was also seen shooting at a passing car, injuring the driver. A camera was also said to have captured images of Diaz attacking a man in a parking lot, ten minutes after the second shooting. A man found fatally shot twice in a crashed pickup truck was also believed by police to have been a victim of Diaz’s rampage.
“I know there had to be something hurting him,” said, Donna Lesh, sister of one of the deceased. “I forgive him.”
The police reported that they do not know what prompted these shootings, according to a CBS Local 2 News report. The shooter, Diaz, is a construction worker and former firefighter, laid off by CalFire a couple of years ago. He is a married man, a father of three children. The Press Enterprise reported that his in Hemet neighbors were shocked by the allegations. He had been well-liked and respected.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a collision and you would like to speak with a personal injury attorney to learn your rights, please contact Johnson Attorneys Group at 800-235-6801 for a free consultation.