Early CHP Stats Show 8 Dead on California Roads; 314 Arrested
Just 30 hours into the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, eight people died in statewide traffic accidents and 314 were arrested on DUI charges on roads patroled by the California Highway Patrol.
It was a typically busy 4-day Thanksgiving weekend for the California Highway Patrol on highways across the state. The full results of traffic fatalities over the long weekend are expected to be released later this week.
The CHP began its maximum enforcement at 6 p.m. on Wednesday and by Friday there were eight people who died in collisions throughout the state. The maximum enforcement period ran through midnight Sunday, but the full report on DUI arrests and fatal crashes has not yet been released by the CHP. In 2018, the CHP made 931 DUI arrests over the holiday weekend.
The Thanksgiving holiday is one of the deadliest each year with nearly 55 million travelers nationwide and 7 million Californians hitting the road, according to AAA.
Police say the best defense travelers have is to wear a seat belt. Roughly 43 percent of those who died in crashes were not wearing a seat belt.
Some of the Thanksgiving Day Weekend Crashes in California
- A passenger was killed in Thanksgiving Day crash on 15-Freeway with ambulance in Fallbrook.
- Kennedy Francisco, 11, of San Bernardino, died in a solo-vehicle crash on Thanksgiving Day on the eastbound Interstate 40 Freeway in Needles.
- Brian Jackson, 36, of Eastvale, died Sunday night when his motorcycle crashed into the back of an SUV on the 210 Freeway in Fontana.
- A 52-year-old man was struck and killed on a street in Santa Ana at 7:36 p.m. on November 27th.
- Steven Hardy, 36, of Highland, has been identified as the pedestrian who was struck by a bus and killed on Friday, Nov. 29th on a street in Orange.
- One person died in a collision on Hackamore Road Sunday evening in Alturas.
- Rosa Garza, Francisco Garza died, others were hurt in a DUI crash on Highway 101 Sunday in San Jose. Esteban Aguilar Jimenez was arrested.
- An alleged DUI crash killed 28-year-old Merced resident Joshua Eisen Sunday on Highway 99 in Fresno.
Johnson Attorneys Group does not represent any of the parties mentioned above nor is it our intent to represent any of the parties. If you would like to contribute to this story or you have legal questions, please contact us.
- Chula Vista Motorcycle Crash Interstate 5 Freeway at J Street - April 13, 2021
- Fatal Stanislaus County Car Accident Washington Road, Taylor Road - April 12, 2021
- Greenhorn, California Crash Highway 70 Near Lee Summit - April 12, 2021