Smaller Vehicles, More Deaths
The deadliest vehicles on our roads are also the tiniest.
Half of the vehicles listed on the top 10 deadliest vehicles on the road are mini cars and three are small cars, according to the latest 2017 report by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety.
The rating is based on the number of driver deaths and it’s really no surprise that vehicles with the least amount of space to protect occupants are the deadliest to be inside during a collision.
Topping the list of most dangerous vehicles is the 2014 Hyundai Accent with a death rate of 104 deaths per million, but the car’s safety has improved considerably since its rate of 120 for the 2011 Hyundai Accent a few years ago.
Top 10 Deadliest Vehicles 2017
- Hyundai Accent, 104 deaths (mini)
- Kia Rio, 102 deaths (mini)
- Scion TC, 101 deaths (small)
- Chevrolet Spark, 96 deaths (mini)
- Nissan Versa, 95 deaths (mini)
- Ford Fiesta, 83 deaths (mini)
- Kia Soul, 82 deaths (small)
- Dodge Challenger, 81 deaths (large car)
- Nissan Titan Crew Cab, 73 deaths (large car)
- Nissan Sentra, 72 deaths (small)
The death rates are calculated using only driver deaths because not all vehicles have passengers aboard them. Experts agree that larger sedans are the safest vehicles on the roadway. In fact, nine of the top 10 vehicles providing the lowest death rate are large or midsize vehicles: 1. Audi A6 4wd; 2. Audi Q7 4wd (SUV); 3. BMW 535i/is 2wd; 4. BMW 535xi 4wd; 5. Jeep Cherokee 4wd (SUV); 6. Lexus CT 200h; 7. Lexus RX350 2wd (SUV); 8. Mazda cx-9 2wd (SUV); 9. Mercedes-Benz M-Class 4WD (SUV); 10. Toyota Tacoma Double Cab long bed 4WD (pickup).
Legal RepresentationIt’s important that an injured person or a family member of a person who is killed in a collision, contact a qualified and experienced attorney at the earliest possible time. To ensure you are fully compensated for all of your financial losses and to preserve your legal rights it’s best to act right away. Our California car accident lawyers have recovered $97 million for our clients over the past decade. Johnson Attorneys Group does not charge any legal fees unless they successfully settle or win your case.
For a free case evaluation, call 1-800-235-6801.
Latest posts by Johnson Attorneys Group (see all)
- What Legal Ramifications Will Harvey Weinstein Face? - November 13, 2017
- Santa Ynez Fatal Motorcycle Crash on Highway 101, October 15 - October 16, 2017
- San Diego Fatal Pedestrian Accident on Highway 163, October 15 - October 16, 2017