Sadly, every day about 1,000 people require emergency medical treatment in the U.S. as a result of dog bites. Dog owners are responsible for their dog’s behavior and must maintain control over the animal. If a dog bites or otherwise attacks an individual, the owner is liable for the conduct of the dog. The Centers for Disease Control has estimated that there are approximately 4.5 million dog bite victims every year in the US. If you were bitten or attacked by a dog, you have the right to seek compensation for your injuries.
Dog Bite Statistics
According to Dogbite.org, in 2011, the following statistics apply:
- 31 fatal dog bites occurred in the U.S.
- Pit bulls accounted for 71% of the attacks
- Although pit bulls account for the great majority of attacks, pit bulls comprise only 5% of the U.S. dog population
- In 2011, there were twice as many adult dog bite fatalities than child victims
- In 2011, the primary owner of the pit bull was killed in 8 instances
- 39% of the fatal dog injuries involved more than one dog
- California and Texas led the nation with 4 deaths each
Liability for Dog Bites
In California, the owner of a dog is strictly liable for any injuries caused by their dog. The owner does not have to have knowledge that their dog had a propensity to bite or attack. California Civil Code, Sec. 3342 states, in part,
a) The owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog while in a public place or lawfully in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness…”
Contact a California Dog Bite Attorney for a Free Consultation
The key to recovering the proper amount of compensation for a dog bite injury is to hire an experienced and knowledgeable dog bite attorney. Johnson Attorneys Group has recovered more than $50 million in the past years for their injured clients and for the families of victims who were killed. You may be entitled to compensation for hospitalization, doctor visits, medical rehabilitation, pain and suffering, lost income and more. There are no up-front legal fees and no fees at all unless we settle or win your case. For a free consultation call the Johnson Attorneys Group at 1-800-208-3538.