HUNTINGTON BEACH: More Than 300 Expected at Walk Like MADD
HUNTINGTON BEACH, California (October 12, 2016) — More than 300 people are expected to attend this Saturday’s Walk Like MADD fundraiser helping to raise awareness about the dangers of drunk driving as well as supporting victims and their surviving families.
More than $30,000 has been raised so far for MADD Orange County, roughly halfway to the non-profit’s goal of $65,000 needed this year. The beach city is one of 60 nationwide to hold walks to benefit victims through free local services.
James Johnson, founder of Johnson Attorneys Group, has been a sponsor of Walk Like MADD since 2014.
“These walks are not only a crucial part of bringing public awareness to the crime of drunk driving, but it is also a way for survivors and families to support one another and honor the memories of those lost in this preventable crashes,” Johnson said.
The law firm will hold a raffle at the event for a brand new black Electra 7-speed Cruiser from Jax Bicycle Center in Huntington Beach. Registered walkers will receive a ticket, but visit our booth for a second ticket for double the chance of winning.
The walk starts at 9 a.m. and festivities including the raffle will continue through noon. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m.
MADD Drunk Driving Statistics
– Every 2 minutes someone is injured by a drunk driver.
– Every day 27 people die in DUI crashes.
– A drunk driver on average has driven 80 times under the influence before being caught.
– Nationwide: 10,265 deaths, 290,000 injuries in 2015 in drunk driving crashes (a death every 51 minutes).
– 26 to 29 year olds had highest rate of drunk driving (20.7 percent).
– People drive drunk 300,000 times per day, but only 3,200 are arrested.
– One third of drivers arrested or convicted of DUI are repeat offenders.
If you have legal questions and would like to speak with an attorney, contact Johnson Attorneys Group at 800-235-6801.