15 Dead, 891 DUI Arrests Over Memorial Day Weekend
CALIFORNIA — Fatal Memorial Day weekend crashes on California roads in 2022 dropped 57 percent to 15 deaths statewide, compared to 35 deaths reported last year on the same weekend.
Additionally, the California Highway Patrol also reports separately, the number of DUI arrests in the Golden State were also down. They dropped 9 percent from 979 in 2021 to 891 in 2022.
CHP officials recorded these preliminary numbers during its maximum enforcement period taking place between 6 p.m. on Friday and 11:59 p.m. on Monday or Memorial Day. The CHP added that among those who died, 63 percent of them were not wearing seatbelts.
The CHP steps up enforcement on major holidays such as Memorial Day to stop dangerous drivers and help motorists.
However, these numbers do not include deaths and DUI arrests made by local law enforcement agencies on roads not patrolled by the CHP. Below are some of the collisions reported over the holiday weekend this year.
Memorial Day Weekend Crashes 2022
Saturday, May 28, 2022
- Morgan Lafaye Barber, 56, of Bakersfield, died in a hit-and-run collision Saturday, May 28th at Alfred Harrell Highway and Highway 178 in Bakersfield.
Sunday, May 29, 2022
- Aaron James Price, 38, of San Ramon, died in a car crash on State Route Highway 160 near Sherman Island Road and the Antioch Bridge in Isleton.
- A crash killed at least one person on the 210 Freeway and Santa Anita Avenue in Arcadia.
- Eugenia Esperansa Villarreal, 23, died in a fatal Bakersfield crash Sunday night on Alfred Harrel Highway near Hart Park in Kern County.
Monday, May 30, 2022
- A fatal car accident at South Avenue and Cherry Avenue in Fresno County. A Mitsubishi pickup truck and a Hyundai Elantra collided at the intersection just before 5 p.m.
- An 82-year-old Seal Beach man died in the head-on crash in Huntington Beach crash on Pacific Coast Highway, just north of Goldenwest Street.
- A fatal Santa Ana pedestrian accident happened late Monday on the Interstate 5 Freeway, just north of 17th Street.
- One person died when a vehicle crashed into the backyard of a home at 4307 St. Mark Avenue in the La Verne area about 9:20 a.m. on Monday.
Johnson Attorneys Group is a proud, longtime supporter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). For legal assistance, please contact us at 1-800-235-6801.