One Killed, Two Injured in Street Takeovers in Costa Mesa, Anaheim
COSTA MESA, Calif. (Oct. 22, 2020) – Mynor Augusto Esquivelvalle, 22, of Los Angeles, is charged with vehicular manslaughter following a fatal crash early Thursday morning in Costa Mesa.
The vehicle overturned about 2:30 a.m. at Sunflower and Hyland avenues in Costa Mesa.
The suspect was reportedly doing doughnuts in the street as part of a series of street takeovers in Costa Mesa, police said.
Mynor Esquivelvalle lost control of the vehicle, it overturned and his cousin was killed. Meanwhile, a second passenger in the car was injured in the crash, the Costa Mesa Police Department said.
The name of the victim, who was in his 20s, has not been released yet.
Related: Street Takeovers in the Rise in Southern California
Fatal Crash in Costa Mesa at Sunflower and Hyland Avenues
Investigators say there were skid marks on the street consistent with a car doing doughnuts. They suspect that is what caused the car to flip over.
The cousin was killed and a second passenger was transported to a hospital in unknown condition, police said. Additionally, Esquivelvalle stopped and cooperated with the police investigation. Furthermore, police do not suspect alcohol was a fact in the crash. Meanwhile, four spectators were arrested on suspicion of aiding and abetting the crime.
Police say the street takeover involved more than 100 vehicles, many of them came to Costa Mesa from a similar event in Anaheim where a woman had been struck and injured the same night.
Johnson Attorneys Group does not represent any of the parties mentioned above; nor is it our intent to represent any of the parties. If you would like to contribute to this story, please contact us.