Causes of Playground InjuriesSeveral factors contribute to playground injuries, which can result in fractures, concussions and strangulation.
- Equipment susceptible to head entrapment.
- Equipment that is poorly maintained, has design or construction flaws or has subpar surface material.
- Most accidents happen from falls on climbing equipment.
If your child has been involved in a playground injury in California, our personal injury lawyer at Johnson Attorneys Group are here for you. We don’t charge any legal fees unless we successfully settle or win your case. For a complimentary> case evaluation, call 1-800-208-3538.
California Playground Injury LawsBased on national standards, the National Program for Playground Safety has given California a grade of B- for risk factors found in school, park and child-care center playgrounds since the year 2000. But on January 1, 2008, California legislation AB 1144 enhanced state regulations for playgrounds. Those enhancements provide more stringent requirements for equipment; accessibility and impact of surfaces; fabricated wood fibers; and age-appropriate equipment. Areas surrounding the equipment are also required to have bark mulch, wood chips, sand and gravel at specified depths determined by fall risks. Because of its toxicity, crystalline silica is also banned from playground sand boxes statewide.
(H2) Determining Liability If your child is seriously hurt on a playground, someone should be held liable. Asking several questions determines who that should be:
- Who owns the playground? A municipality or state government is responsible for city or state parks. School boards (public and private) govern school playgrounds. Churches, restaurants and childcare centers are also liable for playground accidents on their property. If negligence, or a party’s failure to properly fulfill their part in providing a safe playground environment, was a factor and your child was authorized to use the playground, premises liability can apply to your case because the accident causing the serious injury happened on their property.
- Was the equipment faulty? If equipment breaking caused the accident, the manufacturer can be held liable under Chapter 9 Mechanical Failure: when the materials of a structure don’t stay intact. Thus, manufacturers, suppliers and retailers could subject to Product Liability.
- Was the supervisor negligent? If your child was hurt because of poor supervision, the person or persons failing to fulfill that duty are liable for negligence. Example: Teachers who should have been monitoring the school playground were distracted or absent.
Breach of Duty and CausationIn each previously mentioned case, breach of duty also applies. All parties are duty bound to ensure a safe playground environment. Failing to do so is a breach of duty.
Causation also applies since the actions or failure of action from the owner or supervisor caused the playground injury.
Johnson Attorneys Group Can Help You with a Playground Injury Accident Claim in California
- If your child sustained personal injuries from a playground accident, you need an experienced playground injury attorney.
- At Johnson Attorneys Group, we employ armies of investigators, experts and other professionals to protect their “bottom line.” You need an advocate on your side that is a skilled negotiator, to ensure you get the maximum recovery for your California Playground Injury accident.
- Our California personal injury lawyer has recovered more than $50 million for our clients over the past several years alone.
- Johnson Attorneys Group does not charge any legal fees unless they successfully settle or win your case.
- We have 12 convenient locations to serve our clients.
- You can contact us 24/7.
- Hablamos Español.