Speeding remains one of the major contributing factors to car accidents in California each year. Excessive speed cuts down the ability of a motor vehicle operator to make quick, safe decisions and keep people out of harm’s way. Once someone gets behind the wheel of an automobile, they have a responsibility to ensure the best possible safety for passengers, other drivers and pedestrians. Speeding is a form of driver negligence. If you have suffered a loss due to someone’s carelessness, you may be entitled to recover fair compensation for your loss, even if the driver wasn’t issued a speeding citation.
At the Johnson Attorney Group, we handle car accidents caused by speeding on a daily basis and are ready to fight for your rights. Contact us today and one of our California personal injury lawyers will provide you with a free case evaluation to help you determine if you have a case and what the next steps will be. Don’t wait! The consultation is free, and you won’t ever pay a dime unless our firm successfully resolves your accident claim. Call 1-800-208-3538 today!
California Speeding Statistics
- There were 991 Speeding-Related Fatalities (FARS) in 2014
- 20,317 speeding citations issues from 2014-2015 in CA
- 18.1% of California drivers cite Speeding/Aggressive Driving was the #1 concern to driver safety according to poll of 1,935 drivers aged 18+ in 15 counties throughout California.
How Our Attorney Can Help You Get the Settlement You’re Entitled After a Speeding Car Crash
Serious and catastrophic car crashes due to excessive speed can throw your life into a tailspin. Impacts at high speeds often cause broken bones, head/ brain injuries, and spinal cord injuries. One moment you’re driving home from work or traveling with loved ones, next comes the sound of impact and breaking glass. No one ever expects the fallout from a car wreck. You may find yourself facing mounting medical bills, out of work, and/or your quality of life permanently diminished. Placing a dollar value on these losses can be complicated and you will want to avoid any missteps.
It’s unfortunate, but accident victims that attempt to negotiate settlements on their own tend to be at a significant disadvantage. Insurance companies work to protect their profit margins and paying full and fair compensation means red ink in their ledger. Finding a reason to reject your claim or grossly underpay you constitutes a business win for these big corporations. Your interests are best served by working with an experienced California car accident lawyer that understands the tactics insurance companies employ to avoid paying you fairly.
Work with an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
If you have suffered a loss due to someone’s carelessness, it may be an uphill battle proving they were at fault. Things such as exceeding the speed limit, inattention or distracted driving may have contributed to the crash. However, proving they were in the wrong and are financially responsible in legal terms comes down to four things: Cause, Duty, Breach and Monetary Damages.
- Cause: As a victim in the accident, a connection between the losses you suffered and the negligent actions of the driver must be established. This may include things such as speeding, operator inattention, and driving a vehicle that wasn’t road worthy among others.
- Duty: Your claim should articulate that the driver was required to act with reasonable care for other drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and property.
- Breach: Being issued a driver’s license comes with the responsibility that motor vehicle operators will act with reasonably care and caution. Things such as speeding, running red lights, texting while driving, and drunkenness are considered contrary to reasonable driver behavior. In many ways, driving is a contract agreed to with all citizens to exercise prudence. Breaking that agreement is a form of breach.
- Monetary Damages: Placing a dollar value on car repairs, medical bills, lost wages and other tangible items can be straight forward. However, determining the costs associated with ongoing rehabilitation, diminished earning capacity and quality of life require an experienced car accident attorney. A prime example that has come to light in recent years is the effects of traumatic head injuries and concussions. Only now are we discovering the long-term impact on people’s lives.
Holding the negligent party and their insurance carrier fully responsible can involve challenging negotiations and tough litigation. A California car accident lawyer can take on speeding accident fight while you focus on recuperation.
Protect Your Interests After a Crash. Contact a California Car Accident Lawyer Today
It’s important to understand that your interests and those of an insurance company are not the same. In fact, they may be diametrically opposed to each other. You and your attorney seek full, fair and just compensation for the loss you’ve suffered. The corporation wants to keep profits as high as possible. Your claim may be the irresistible force to their immovable object. It’s imperative that you protect your interests. Consider these steps after an accident.
- Contact a California car accident lawyer.
- Do not authorize access to personal or medical information.
- Document the accident.
- Do not engage in quick settlement discussions or agreements.
- Refer insurance officials to your attorney for information and negotiations.
- Get medical treatment and evaluation from your physician, not theirs.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident due to excessive speed, contact the Johnson Attorney Group for a free consultation today.