Welcome to the California car accident attorneys at Johnson Attorneys Group. If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, you have come to the right place. Did you know you may be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries and property damage if you were hurt in a crash with a negligent driver?
Indeed, drivers have a duty to be attentive at all times they are behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. When a driver does not pay attention to the task of driving, they are far more likely to crash into another vehicle or to cause a vehicle to crash into theirs. Inattentive drivers also cause accidents by forcing other cars to avoid crashes – yet this often results in crashes and injuries. If you were involved in a vehicle crash, the skilled Riverside car accident lawyers at Johnson Attorney Group can help you obtain the compensation that you are entitled to under the law.
Many Reasons for Car Crashes
Car crashes have numerous causes, including:
Driver inattention– the driver is distracted or simply is not paying attention to driving.
Talking on a cell phone – cell phones are distractions and take the driver’s attention and hands away from the task of driving.
Sending or receiving text messages – texting is one of the most dangerous distractions and increases the chance of an accident more than 20 times.Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol – it is estimated that about 25% of crashes involve impaired drivers.
Car Accident Types
Compensation You May Be Entitled to if You Were Injured in a Car Accident and Hired an Auto Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a car crash that was due to another person’s negligence, California law allows the injured party to seek compensation. This compensation may include the following:
- Medical treatment – includes hospital visits, emergency room treatment
- Doctor’s treatment – in or out of the hospital
- Pain and suffering – this is compensation for the physical and/or mental pain and suffering that resulted from the accident caused by another
- Physical damage – if your car was damaged or destroyed, you may be entitled to partial or full value of the vehicle
- Lost wages and lost future earnings – if you are unable to work, you may be entitled to monetary compensation for the money you would have earned as well as projected future earnings
California Auto Accident Attorney FAQ
To answer the question of what types of insurance is available, California insurance companies offer drivers the following coverage options:
- Collision: Provides coverage for your car in case of an accident with another car.
- Comprehensive: Provides coverage for non-collision damage such as theft and fire.
- Liability: Covers bodily injury, death, or property damage up to the policy limits.
Medical and funeral services coverage
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist: Offers coverage to victims involved in a crash with someone with inadequate coverage or no insurance.
- Rental car: Covers some costs towards a rental vehicle while you repair your car.
- Towing and labor: Coverage for costs incurred to tow your car and mechanic’s labor charges.
You may wonder what car insurance do I need in California? The only mandatory requirement is liability insurance, however, it’s usually in your best interest to have more. Your insurance agent can help answer what kind of car insurance do I need.
Car insurance covers a range of things depending on your policy. Some examples include:
- repair or replacement costs,
- rental car reimbursement,
- property damage or injury to another party,
- medical expenses,
- funeral costs.
How to file a car insurance claim is the most common question people have after a crash. Be sure to obtain contact information from the other driver and a copy of the police report. You should then report the accident to your insurance company. An agent will advise you on how to file an auto insurance claim against someone if you feel another party is to blame.
The first step in determining how to file a property damage claim in California is to report the damage to your insurance agent. He or she will help you decide if you should file a claim with your own insurance company or the insurer for the other driver. You will also need to arrange to have your car appraised to determine the extent of damage.
Don’t accept the settlement without first speaking to an experienced California personal injury lawyer. Insurance companies have a reputation of making low settlement offers just to be done with the case. Unfortunately, the amount of the offer may not be enough to meet your needs if you sustained serious injuries in the accident or have work limitations.
State law requires you to make a car accident insurance claim after an accident with monetary loss, physical injury, or death of another person. Be sure to write down the date and the name of the agent you speak to each time you call. Additionally, don’t sign any legally binding paperwork before consulting with a car accident personal injury lawyer in California.
What to do if you get in a car accident is also a common question. Your priority in a personal injury car accident is to check to see that everyone in your vehicle and the vehicle that collided with you is okay. If so, call 911 to report the accident to police. In the event of injury, call an ambulance and do your best to keep the person comfortable and calm until help arrives. You should then take the following steps with your insurance company:
- Report the accident by calling or completing an online form.
- Provide contact information for the other party as well as any witnesses.
- Read your insurance policy to understand what is and is not covered.
- Begin documenting your claim immediately by saving applicable receipts.
Never make a statement to the other party’s insurance company without speaking to your auto accident lawyer. The agent may use it against you later. You also should not provide any written information regarding the accident, accept a settlement offer, or sign any forms before seeking legal representation.
You have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit in California, but if a government entity is a defendant you must notify them of the claim within six months or lose the right to sue them. People sometimes delay initiating a lawsuit because they assume that they have plenty of time to make an injury claim. Another reason for delaying is that injuries don’t always show up right away. That is the reason it is always a good idea to visit a doctor immediately after an accident. Not only can he or she diagnose issues you cannot see, but it also helps to build your credibility with the other party.
The answer is always yes if you sustained any degree of injury and there is property damage caused by the other party who is involved.. Your auto accident attorney will investigate how the accident occurred and gather evidence to support your request for financial compensation.